Monday, November 19, 2018

Unit 9: DIGITAL LITERACY


DIGITAL LITERACY 

Digital literacy is being able to communicate and learn through electronic devices other than the traditional way of learning.  Can digital literacy be used in the classroom without any set backs?  That might be possible, but a teacher would have to have good management over that.  Digital literacy might be challenging in the classroom, especially that it is so addicting, and people tend to get hypnotized and then we lose them, there are some advantages and disadvantages.

The advantages of digital literacy in the classroom can bring people together and build new relationships. Heck! It can bring us together from one side of the world to another! It is portable and if we need to present something in class, all we do is sign in and it’s there and in real time! We can work on projects from across the ocean! We can get information in real time! If you need to know something, you just google it! If you need an activity for your class, type it out and its there! I find it amazing that we can find new friendships, learn and share new things just by one simple click away!

Now the down fall to having digital technology in the classroom is that, there are things to worry about with privacy issues such as: hackers, viruses, phishing, people taking pics without consent, etc.  Even though I said it could bring people together, it can also pull them apart, especially when it becomes an addictive habit (another defeat)! Once people start on their phones and they stop talking to others around them, and thus, the reason why verbal conversation seems to have deteriorated these days.  Lastly, spelling becomes an issue as well because now we are texting a whole knew way of spelling words and I would imagine that it can be confusing to a learner of a L2 (all though acronyms are universal). 

Whatever one does with digital technology, it just needs to be managed properly in the classroom, and rules need to be set and respected for everyone to feel comfortable and safe in the classroom. It is interesting and can make learning fun and innovative.  Digital technology is here to stay, and I don’t think it will go away, may as well welcome it! I know I will! 

No comments:

Post a Comment