Sunday, October 28, 2018

UNIT 2: Acronyms Around the World of TESL

ACRONYM-MANIA!


I am from Northern Manitoba and there isn't any type of TESL Programs in our area.  I am familiar with a few acronyms that I have learned  before enrolling in this program.  BUT...after all the reading I have done in this course, I must say I have never seen so many Acronyms in all my life! So far, I have learned of the following acronyms through readings or by researching information online.  The following are JUST A FEW acronyms I have come across so far, such as: 

  • EAP - English for Academic Purpose 
  • ELLs - English Language Learners
  • L1 - Speaker's first language 
  • L2 - Speaker's second language 
  • L3- Speaker's third language 
  • TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages 
  • ESL - English as a Second Language 
  • TESL - Teaching English as a Second Language , meaning teaching the English Language in English Speaking country
  • TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language, which means teaching the English Language in a Foreign country 
  • SLA - Second Language Acquisition
  • VESL - Vocational English as a Second Language
  • LSP- Languages for Specific Purposes
  • ESP-English Specific Purposes
  • EAP - English for Academic Purposes
  • PLLT - Principles of Language & Teaching 
  • ZPD - Zone of Proximal Development
  • ACTFL- American Council of Teaching Foreign Language
  • TBLT- Task-Based Learning
  • AMMM- And Many Many More! This is not over yet! 
Throughout my researching I came across a list of acronyms for TESL:  






No comments:

Post a Comment